The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Publisher: Atria Books

Publication Date: November 7th 2006

Format:  Hardcover

Pages: 339

"Everything You Can Imagine is Real."

Pablo Picasso

High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

Taking readers on a vivid journey through the loss of innocence into adulthood and beyond, New York Times bestselling author John Connolly tells a dark and compelling tale that reminds us of the enduring power of stories in our lives.

Get the book: Amazon

Add on Goodreads

My Review:

“For in every adult there dwells the child that was, and in every child there lies the adult that will be.”
― John Connolly, The Book of Lost Things

I love the cover of this book, so beautiful  !

This book is my favorite book of all time . I often reread it , i feel it pulling me back in , tempting me to dive in its beautiful world of adventures once again. so finally i decided to post my thoughts about it.

One thing you should know about me , is that I LOVE fairy-tales , especially those who contain a dark twist . and oh my .. this book gave me everything.

The world that the author created was absolutely mesmerizing , the world building was impeccable that I actually felt like i was there, you could feel the magic around you , the air of that forest , and the howling of the wolves , it was detailed enough that you can see the place clearly but not too much that it became boring.

This is not a young adult book like I expected . it was very dark , and some parts are just so twisted but very well written . the pacing of the story was also good , it took me a few pages to get into it , but once i did , it was impossible not to continue and not want more , so i would say that this is definitely a page turner .

I also loved all the characters in this book , they seemed so real .  and i absolutely  ADORED David , all his flaws made him more relatable and more human, in this story I believe we follow him in a journey of finding himself rather than finding his mother .

The characters and the magical world building was very well written which made the experience of reading this book so vivid. i also enjoyed the dark fairy-tales included in this book , it's something different , in a good way of course.

The ending of this book tore me to pieces, it's the most perfectly written ending that i have ever encountered in a book. i cried so much . it is the kind of book that stays in your head even after you finish it.

I would recommend it to everyone , because i feel like it's something that must be read at least once in our lives.