Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Publisher: Tor Teen

Publication Date: October 17th 2011

Format:  Hardcover

Pages: 320

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

Searching for a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas expects the usual: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

Yet she spares Cas's life.

Get the book : Amazon

My Review:

i do believe i had enough reading books about blood and splattered guts and flesh
but i LOVED this story  , but boy was this scary!

i definitely don't recommend reading this book at night if you are easily scared ( like me)
i enjoyed this so much that i kept reading it all day , and night ( big mistake) , that at some point i had to stop and keep it for when morning comes , because i just couldn't handle it anymore, my hearts was beating and all i kept thinking is

" what was that"  "i think i saw someone"

i do believe in ghosts , so this GIF is how i looked.

i was waiting for this to happen the entire time:

so , the scenes where scary things happened were good, amazing!

but , i had a bit of a hard time getting into the story , the beginning was slow and not that interesting , it wasn't until Anna ( the ghost) showed her powers and made a mess with human flesh that i started focusing on the story.

The characters , i though they were good , not that intriguing but still nice to read about

Anna was my favorite , she is the queen of hell at first , then we get to see the real her , that sweet little girl who wouldn't hurt a fly . which was also good about her is that we got to look at her past and what made her who she is now , which created some depth into her character that i connected with and made me always curious about her next move.

Cas, even if we got to know a lot about him , i didn't like him very much , i didn't hate him either , but seeing things from his perspective and hearing his thoughts isn't what you call delightful .

however , i did love his relationship wish Anna , a ghost and a ghost killer.
they are both presented with this chance of happiness , yet they know it's too impossible

“You make me want things I can't have.”

The ending wasn't happy , but i felt like it was great , perfect for this story and i enjoyed it even if it broke my heart a little.

The writing was also good, i finished this book in two sittings , maybe even faster if i had enough courage to read it at night , but oh well...

i would recommend this book to you if you're looking for a scary story , something to get your heart racing , yet with interesting elements ( i loved the stories of the ghosts and their pasts)